The Zest & Zeal is run by two sisters, who are wives, and new moms living in Nashville, and have a passion for healthy, purposeful living. Jaime is one half of the Zest & Zeal team. She is guest posting today on Ditch The Wheat. Jaime received her Bachelor of Science in Nutrition/Dietetics and has been counseling clients in a variety of settings for over ten years. She loves trying new recipes, ways to save money, and making her own beauty and cleaning products. You can visit her blog here and like her Facebook page here.
Planning what to have for lunch on the weekends is always difficult for me. We are typically busy, done with leftovers from the week, and honestly I am not feeling that motivation to cook after cooking all week. Before changing my family’s diet to include whole, real, and clean foods, we used to grab sandwiches for lunch from local delis. Now, I prefer to eat the majority of my meals at home.
My family loves avocados! We eat avocados for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My two- year old son can’t get enough; therefore, I usually buy avocados in bulk. Since they all tend to ripen at the same time, I end up having to think of creative ways to use them quickly. I created this avocado dressing, which I have used as a dressing for a Mexican potato salad and as a sandwich spread. It is so easy to make and a great way add a bit of flare to those weekend lunches.
For this recipe I also made a paleo sour cream recipe that I found on FastPaleo to substitute for regular sour cream. Turkey (click here to find gluten free sliced turkey) and bacon are two family favorites and I think they both taste great with avocado. However, you can personalize this recipe by using your favorite meat and veggies.
- 1/3 cup paleo sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Place dressing ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
PALEO TURKEY ROLL-UPS
- 4 slices turkey
- 4 pieces romaine lettuce
- 2 tomato slices, cut into four pieces
- 4 slices cucumber, cut in half
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place one slice of turkey on a cutting board. Put lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bacon crumbles and a dollop of dressing on top of turkey.
- Roll turkey up over ingredients.