Egg Substitute: 11 Easy Egg Substitutes to Try
Substitute for Eggs
With the price of eggs extremely high I’ve been using an egg substitute in my baking once in a while. Here are the 11 best egg alternatives to try.
Some common egg substitutes include applesauce, mashed bananas, flax seeds, chia seeds, silken tofu, yogurt, and vinegar.
The best substitute for eggs will depend on the specific recipe you are making.
Keep in mind that using a substitute for eggs may change the texture and flavor of your dish slightly. Obviously, using a banana instead of an egg will give your recipe a banana flavor.
Many of these egg alternatives work great as a vegan egg substitute.
11 Best Egg Substitutes
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Silken tofu
- Plain yogurt
- Sweet potatoes
Substitute for 1 egg
All of these substitutes would make great vegan egg substitutes except for yogurt. All of these will also work as a substitute for eggs when baking.
If your recipe requires 3 eggs, multiply the substitution by 3.
- Chia seeds: Use a mixture of 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 3 tablespoons of water in place of one egg.
- Flax seeds: Use a mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water in place of one egg.
- Applesauce: Combine 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to create a substitute for one egg.
- Bananas: Mash 1/4 cup of ripe bananas and mix with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to create a substitute for one egg.
- Silken tofu: Use 1/4 cup of silken tofu, blended until smooth, as a substitute for one egg.
- Plain yogurt: Mix together 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to create a substitute for one egg.
- Vinegar: Combine 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 cup of water to create a substitute for one egg.
- Aquafaba: Use 3 tablespoons of aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) as a substitute for one egg.
- Sweet potatoes: Mix together 1/4 cup of mashed sweet potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to create a substitute for one egg.
- Avocado: Use 1/4 cup of mashed avocado mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder as a substitute for one egg.
- Cornstarch: Combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water to create a substitute for one egg.
Keep in mind that these options will not provide the same binding properties as eggs, so they may not work well in all recipes.
Egg substitute for baking
My favorite egg replacement in baking is chia seeds. I have used this substitute for over 10 years and it works wonderfully. It’s a pantry staple for me.
I love that chia seeds do not change the taste of your baked goods. If you are making something with coconut flour do not use chia seeds as an egg replacement.
Other good egg replacements for baking would be yogurt, applesauce, banana, and aquafaba.
For coconut flour, it would be better to use something sticky like bananas. Expect your coconut flour baked goods to turn out very dense if you use an egg alternative.
Egg substitute for brownies
Sweet potatoes, bananas, and avocado make the best egg substitute for brownies. They help to keep brownies fudgy.
More substitutions to try
Carol Lovett is a Canadian, Capricorn sun, Scorpio rising, reflector in human design, reiki master, crystal healer, foodie, and creator of Ditch the Wheat. She focuses on creating recipes that are gluten free and caters to other food sensitivities. She is the Globe and Mail bestselling author of Ditch the Wheat.