I needed a BBQ sauce asap and the fans on the Ditch The Wheat Facebook page came to my rescue. One individual posted this recipe from Life Style by Poliquin, and I was immediately drawn to the simplicity of it. The sauce required no cooking and I had all the ingredients on hand, which was great since I needed to use the sauce for a family BBQ in a few hours.
I adapted the recipe for my liking by taking out the medjool dates and replacing it with maple syrup. I also replaced the mustard with dried ground mustard because mustard contains vinegar and sometimes vinegar is made from wheat. The same goes with soy sauce. If you ever see a recipe needing soy sauce use coconut amino acids (you can find it here) instead which is gluten free and tastes great.
Also, keep in mind this recipe tastes spicy when you sample the sauce after making it. Every time I have barbecued with it, the meat, is not extremely spicy.
SPICY MAPLE BBQ SAUCE
- ½ cup coconut amino acids
- 5 tbsp of maple syrup or more – could use coconut sugar
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of ground dried mustard
- 3 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Dash of pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (use less if you don’t like it spicy)
- Mix all together in a bowl. *add the cayenne last in little amounts for desired heat.
- Spread onto meat. I have used this sauce on ribs, chicken and hamburger patties and it works great for all of them.
- Store the sauce in a glass bottle (like this one). So far my sauce has lasted 2 weeks in the fridge without any signs of mold.
This recipe made enough to cover 1 rack of ribs, 2 quarter chickens and I still have about 1/4 cup leftover.
Enjoy,DISCLOSURE: Not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader. Ditch the Wheat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only endorse products that believe in.