I never thought of ice cream as a health food before but now I do since I make my own. I start with a dairy free base of coconut milk, but only use the cream that rises to the top, then I add lots and lots of egg yolks, yes egg yolks since I feel they are nutritious and the extra fat adds to the creaminess of the ice cream and then I add sweetness and flavour. For this ice cream making adventure I modelled my ice cream after my favourite pie, lemon meringue pie, thus creating lemon meringue pie ice cream, mmmmmMMMmmm.
I tried hard to get a picture of the meringue layers but sadly I couldn’t achieve it in time before the ice cream became ice cream soup. Plus this is finally a homemade ice cream recipe that makes use of the leftover egg whites (bonus!).
- *Make this recipe before making the ice cream so it has time to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Add the raw honey and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Bake in a dish for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
- Allow it to cool and then add it in layers to the ice cream recipe below.
LEMON MERINGUE PIE ICE CREAM (DAIRY FREE)
- 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for the meringue)
- 2 cups of coconut cream, which is the cream that rises to the top in 2 cans of coconut milk. (Place your coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours to make this happen)
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, (which is 2 lemons)
- add the zest of both lemons
- 2 1/2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Mix the ingredients together and pour into an ice cream maker.
- Follow the directions for the ice cream maker.
- When the ice cream is done churning layer it in a container with a layer of ice cream, then a layer of meringue, then ice cream etc.
- When you are ready to eat it, take the ice cream out of the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before scooping. The ice cream is not soft enough to scoop immediately.
This recipe makes enough ice cream for a 1 litre container.
p.s. I found this book, The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, very helpful in teaching me the fundamentals of building an ice cream recipe. If you’re really into making your own desserts you might find it helpful for learning how to make lots of different ice creams.