Gluten Free Substitute for Panko
Are you tired of missing out on your favorite crispy, breaded dishes because of a gluten intolerance? We have the ultimate solution for you – 11 gluten free panko substitutes that will blow your mind!
Whether you’re craving crunchy chicken tenders or perfectly golden onion rings, these panko alternatives will satisfy your cravings without any worries about gluten.
Panko is not gluten free. It’s made from regular flour. So what do you do if you’re craving something panko breaded but eat gluten free?
A lot of these substitutes are in the typical gluten free pantry. Some add a light crunchiness and a touch of saltiness.
11 Easy Gluten Free Panko Alternatives
- Potato Chips: Crushed potato chips can give a crunchy coating.
- Crushed Gluten Free Pretzels: Pretzel crumbs provide a unique salty and crunchy coating.
- Almond Flour: Almond flour can make the coating heavier instead of light. It’s a good alternative when you’re in a pinch.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Grated Parmesan cheese can add a cheesy and crispy element.
- Quinoa Flakes: Quinoa flakes are gluten free and can be used as a substitute for a yummy crunch.
- Coconut Flakes: Sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes can be used for a tropical twist. I suggest using the short flakes. I used this for my coconut battered shrimp and it worked out great!
- Crushed Rice Cakes: Crushed plain rice cakes can work as a substitute, especially in gluten free recipes.
- Crushed Tortilla Chips: Crushed tortilla chips can add a Mexican-inspired twist to your dishes.
- Rice Crisp Cereal: Crushed Rice Crisp cereal can add a light and airy texture. Make sure you use a gluten free brand of rice krispies.
- Ground Pork Rinds: Pork rinds can be ground into a powder and used as a keto, high-protein substitute.
- Gluten Free Cereal: Choose your favorite plain cereal flakes for a different texture and flavor.
Gluten Free Panko Bread Crumbs
If you prefer to have a storebought solution, below are several gluten free panko brands. The ones with the * mean they are certified gluten free.
- Kikkoman Panko Style Coating, Gluten-Free*
- Katz Gluten Free Bread Crumbs Plain Unseasoned*
- PORQ Panko Crumbs
- Ian’s Original Panko Breadcrumbs
- Aleia’s Gluten-Free Real Panko, Original*
Carol Lovett is the founder of Ditch the Wheat and a Globe and Mail bestselling author of the cookbook, Ditch the Wheat. She has been eating gluten free since 2010. She loves all things food, natural living, and spiritual. She’s also a reiki master and crystal healer.