An easy Roasted Cornish Hen recipe that’s perfect if you’re single or for date night! With flavors of rosemary and paprika you’ll love the results!
When you’re single and cooking for one, you won’t roast a whole chicken that often. It creates way too many leftovers (reminds me of the time I roasted a whole rabbit and duck, never again). You can still get that “roasted chicken” experience with a Cornish hen (and it gives you practice for roasting a chicken when you are in a relationship!). What’s nice about Cornish hens is that they come in a variety of sizes. You can get the tiny one or the big and plump one that will last 3 meals (the perfect amount of leftovers).
Roasted Cornish Hen Tools
For this recipe you will need:
Airtight storage container for leftovers
ROASTED CORNISH HEN RECIPE
Roasted Cornish Hen Ingredients
How to Make Roasted Cornish Hen
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rub Cornish hen with lemon. Sprinkle generous amounts of salt & pepper all over the skin. My number one mistake when I was younger was not seasoning my meat enough with salt and pepper. Sprinkle every square inch of the Cornish hen with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle generous amounts of paprika all over the Cornish hen followed by a little bit of rosemary.
- Place the lemon in the cavity of the Cornish hen with the cloves of garlic. Roast the Cornish hen in a roasting pan.
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Baste the meat often with the juices from the pan. Continue roasting about 25 minutes longer. The Cornish hen is done when a meat thermometer shows the internal temperature has reached a safe point for poultry.
- Let the Cornish hen rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
How Many People Can 1 Cornish Hen Feed?
It depends on how much protein you eat. For me, I can only eat half of a cornish hen. I would assume most males eat a whole one. If you are planning on making cornish hen for a dinner party plan on 1 cornish hen per person.
How do you Cook a Cornish Hen in the Oven?
Don’t worry, cooking a cornish hen is exactly the same as roasting a chicken, except it’s smaller. I always roast my cornish hen uncovered and in a roasting pan just like chicken.
How Should I Season a Cornish Hen?
Think of a Cornish hen like a mini chicken. Your favorite roasted chicken recipe will work amazing with Cornish hens. You can also keep your seasoning simple and use sea salt and ground pepper with butter or olive oil rubbed all over it (that’s my favorite way to season chicken).
Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350