This post contains affiliate links including Amazon affiliate links.
Welcome to Ditch the Wheat! Before you view the recipe I need to make sure you are aware of this. I hear it all the time... You're asking me to give up bread... Even my type 2 diabetic neighbour refuses to give up bread... There's so many reasons to ditch the bread: - gluten - GMO wheat - simple carbs (that cause weight gain) BUT it's so comforting to bite into a soft piece of bread smeared with butter. What if I told you there's bread you can eat that is Paleo and Keto friendly. --> CLICK HERE <--
Have you heard about Pink Slime lately? If you haven’t you can read up on it on Wikipedia or do a simple google search. Even with the allegations against ground beef I never stopped eating it. I wasn’t entirely surprised to hear about Pink Slime. I’ve worked in the food manufacturing industry for over 6 years. People take it for granted that the label on the package is exactly what they are buying. That always makes me laugh. For example, the blueberries in baked goods that come from a food manufacturer, get this, it’s shocking, is not blueberries. It is flour made to simulate the look and flavour of blueberries because real blueberries would turn the entire baked good blue!
Ground meat that contains lean finely textured beef (LFTB or aka Pink Slime) that is used as filler in my ground beef is a result of efficient food manufacturing processes. I recently spoke to a friend who owns a meat manufacturing facility and he pointed out to me that if LFTB was 100% eliminated from ground beef that it would cause the price of ground beef to sky rocket. Secondly, it would be an unsustainable practice because to produce the same amount of ground beef 1.5 million more cows would need to slaughtered.
How do you feel about Pink Slime? Are you still eating ground beef?
Here is a delightful recipe I found. I made this twice and I love them. I enjoy snacking on them for breakfast.
PSssTTTT ~ I also want you to know about the KETO Bread Cookbook. You can eat bread that is Paleo and Keto friendly. --> CLICK HERE <--
Adapted from Gordan Ramsey’s Meatballs in TomatoSauce Recipe
· 500g (1lb 2oz) good quality ground beef *I used extra lean ground beef, but the first time I made these I used medium ground beef. I suggest the latter, moister.
· 1 onion, peeled and very finely chopped *I used ½ an onion
· 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
· 1 tbsp of coconut flour in place of breadcrumbs
· 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to finish
· 1 large egg, lightly beaten
· Adjustment – I added about ¼ cup of chopped red pepper
1. To make the meatballs, mix the ground beef, onion, garlic, coconut flour, and chopped parsley together in a bowl until combined.
2. Season well and add the beaten egg to bind, mixing with your hands.
3. Shape a small piece of the mixture into a ball and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or fry in an oiled pan until cooked.
4. Makes about 33 small meatballs.