Perfectly crisp baked plantain chips. A fun alternative to chips. Includes directions for how to make them using a deep fryer and an air fryer.
I adore plantain chips. This is one chip that I have a hard time frying. Half the time they end up burnt. You could use green plantains to avoid burning them, but they taste awful!
Try my baking method and you’ll end up with perfectly crisp baked plantain chips.
Plantain Chips Tools
For this recipe, you will need the following to make homemade plantain chips.
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- 1 Large bowl
- Mandoline slicer
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Airtight storage container for leftovers
Plantain Chips Ingredients
The spices are optional. You can just use salt if you prefer.
How to Make Plantain Chips
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix all the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Peel the plantain, then slice thinly using a mandoline or a knife. Make sure the slices are as thin as possible.
Place the plantain slices in a mixing bowl. Add the coconut oil and mix until the slices are coated.
Arrange the slices on the baking sheet in one layer.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the edges are brown. Chips in the middle might require more baking time.
Transfer the chips to a bowl and mix with the spice mixture. Consume immediately.
Note: Consider using a glove like this to protect your hand from cuts when using a mandolin slicer.
How can I deep fry plantain chips?
You can deep fry these chips just like regular chips. Preheat oil the oil in your deep fryer to 350°F. Place the chips in the fryer basket.
Only fill the basket halfway to ensure even cooking. Carefully lower the basket into the hot oil. Fry for 3–4 minutes or to light golden color.
Air Fryer Plantain Chips
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and add the chips to the basket (add only half if your basket is small). Cook for 5 minutes, then check the basket and shake, continue cooking for 5-minute intervals, until they are crispy.
How long do homemade plantain chips last?
They won’t last long because they are delicious! If you have leftovers store them in the fridge in an airtight container for no more than 5 days.
How to tell if plantain is ripe
You can tell if plantain is ripe by its color. An unripe plantain will be green and hard, (like an unripe banana).
A ripe plantain will be yellow with some brown and a little bit of softness. An overripe plantain is all brown and very soft.
More Gluten Free Snack Ideas
Below is a list of some fun easy-to-make gluten free snacks.
- Lemon Bliss Balls
- Pumpkin Protein Balls
- Pecan Pie Lara Bars
- Brownie Batter Chia Pudding
- Paleo Almond Butter Cookies
- Campfire Banana Boats
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Parsnip Chips
- Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- Paleo Strawberry Breakfast Cookies
- Nut Free Granola
Plantain Chips Recipe
- 1 ripe plantain
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel the plantain, then slice thinly using a mandoline or a knife. Make sure the slices are as thin as possible.
- Place the plantain slices in a mixing bowl. Add the coconut oil and mix until the slices are coated.
- Arrange the slices on the baking sheet in one layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the edges are brown. Chips in the middle might require more baking time.
- Transfer the chips to a bowl and mix with the spice mixture. Consume immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g