Healing Cabbage Soup
Healing cabbage soup is a vegetable-based soup that helps with digestion and is simple to make.
Cabbage soup has a long-standing reputation as a healing soup. Traditionally used as an aid for digestive health, this humble vegetable soup is now known to provide an array of health benefits.
This delicious, nutritious soup helps to boost immunity, improve digestion, and reduce inflammation.
I personally love adding cabbage to my meals because it is a cruciferous vegetable so it is good for balancing hormones and is rich in fiber.
Since cabbage vegetable soup is a simple soup you can add more vegetables, noodles, and protein to it if you want a more hearty soup.
Toss in a handful of spinach, fresh or frozen, some sausage, lentils, etc.
Healing Cabbage Soup Ingredients
This cabbage soup is low carb since it doesn’t contain any starches or noodles.
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- cabbage chopped
- carrots peeled and chopped
- stalks of celery chopped
- stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- chicken or vegetable broth
- parsley for garnish
How to Make Healing Cabbage Soup
Begin by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the chopped onions and cook until onions have softened about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped carrots and celery and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Add the chopped cabbage to the pot and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add stewed tomatoes, water, and broth.
Bring it to a boil.
Lower the heat and cook on low for 40 minutes.
Garnish with parsley when serving.
Can you freeze cabbage soup?
Yes, you can freeze cabbage soup. This soup can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheat in a pot at low heat, until the soup is heated through.
More soup recipes
If you loved this recipe, I would be really grateful if you can rate the recipe card and share any photos you took on Instagram using #ditchthewheat and tag me in your post or story.
Healing Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ head of cabbage chopped
- 3-4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery chopped
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups of water
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Begin by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until onions have softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the pot and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, water, and broth.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook on low for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley when serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
Carol Lovett is the founder of Ditch the Wheat and a Globe and Mail bestselling author of the cookbook, Ditch the Wheat. She has been eating gluten free since 2010. She loves all things food, natural living, and spiritual. She’s also a reiki master and crystal healer.