What’s for breakfast? Try my delicious and simple Coconut Flour Pancakes that are grain-free, gluten-free and low carb. They are a perfect way to start your day.
I haven’t made coconut flour pancakes in about a year??? I don’t crave them anymore until 2 weekends ago when I went pancake cRaZy!
My first attempt at coconut flour pancakes bombed because they got all fluffy while they were cooking. Then as soon as I took them off the heat they deflated. I hate that.
I worked out the structure problem with the recipe and now they don’t deflate, which makes me happy.
FYI if your baked goods deflate like that (puffs up and then collapses when cooled) when you are making a loaf, muffins, cupcakes, pancakes etc, you usually need to add another egg since eggs provide structure in baked goods.
In this recipe I simply decreased the coconut milk by 1/4 cup and replaced it with 1 large egg which measures 1/4 cup.
I also added 1 more tablespoon of coconut flour since my first attempt needed a little more flour to soak up the liquid and 1 tablespoon of coconut flour goes a long way.
Have fun making pancakes this weekend!
P.S. I feel the little bit of raw honey in the recipe is needed for flavour. I don’t recommend skipping it until you have tried it once.
Coconut Flour Pancake Tools
For this recipe you will need:
Airtight storage container for leftovers
COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES RECIPE
Coconut Flour Pancake Ingredients
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
How to Make Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil and honey. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add coconut milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add coconut flour. Mix until smooth.
- Lastly add cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Do not overmix. Overmixing will result in the baking agents (cream of tartar & baking soda) not working.
- Use a laddle and pour small amount of batter into a large non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet with grass fed ghee/butter etc on medium heat.
- Flip once the bottom is light brown. The pancakes will not bubble as much as “regular” pancakes.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Can I make Coconut Flour Pancakes with Almond Flour?
You cannot swap coconut flour for almond flour in this recipe or in most recipes that are coconut flour based. Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid. This recipe has adjusted for that by increasing the eggs and coconut milk.
Help! I can’t eat eggs. How do I make coconut flour pancakes egg-free?
I have never tested an egg-free version of this recipe. You can try replacing the eggs with a “chia egg”, bananas, applesauce or whatever you usually use in place of eggs.
How to make a chia egg: 1 tbsp of chia seeds + 2.5 tbsp of water = 1 large egg.
1/4 cup ripe mashed banana replaces 1 large egg
1/4 cup of applesauce replaces 1 large egg
Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349