This post contains affiliate links including Amazon affiliate links.
***I no longer use xylitol or Splenda. Please keep in mind xylitol is poisonous to dogs. I would suggest you use a natural sweetener like raw honey.
I am a huge fan of cheesecake!
This recipe is from Maria’s Nutritious & Delicious Journal blog. Maria’s blog is fantastic. If you don’t have it on your blog reading list I highly recommend adding it. Her recipes are always delicious looking and perfect for low carb, gluten free cooking. She always adds a health topic to her blog posts. I have learned so much just from her blog. She usually takes a brand name product and makes her “healthified” version of it.
|Just look at that CARAMEL SAUCE!!!!
I adjusted the recipe slightly since I did not have any erythritol. The cheesecake is a slice of heaven! It is so smooth, creamy, and delicious. My favourite part is the caramel sauce. The sauce can be made with coconut milk too! I’m going to keep this caramel sauce stocked in my fridge at all times! The next time I make this I might either make it crustless or make 1/4-1/2 of the dough for the crust.
I bolded the changes I made.
· 1 1/2 cup almond flour
· 1/2 cup coconut flour
· 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 cup erythritol (I used Splenda)
· 2 tsp stevia glycerite (I didn’t use since I included Splenda)
FILLING: *I since I used 3 packages of cream cheese I converted the recipe for that ratio.
· 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (I used 3 packages)
· 1 1/2 cups powdered* erythritol (I used 1 cup of Splenda)
· 1 tsp stevia glycerite (I didn’t use since I included Splenda)
· 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk (I used ½ cup)
· 3 eggs (I used 2 eggs)
· 1 TBS vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
3. In a medium bowl, mix ingredients.
4. Press the dough onto bottom of the springform pan.
5. Place in the oven to pre-bake the crust.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
8. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sweeteners until smooth.
9. Blend in almond milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate.
10.Mix in vanilla until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
11.Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
12.Turn the oven off, and let the cheesecake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. *Note – this really did prevent cracking! The cheesecake will shrink a little.
13.Chill in refrigerator until serving.
CHOCOLATE SAUCE: *I skipped this part but I’m sure it would have tasted great!
· 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
· 10 TBS heavy cream
· 1/4 cup powdered* erythritol (or Organic Zero)
· 1 tsp stevia glycerite
1. Place the butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler (or in a heat safe dish over a pot of boiling water).
2. Stir well until just melted (don’t burn the chocolate!), add in the cream, and sweetener.
3. Stir until smooth and thick.
4. Smooth all over the top of the cooled cheesecake and set back in fridge to set.
CARAMEL SAUCE: *THIS IS THE GREATEST CARAMEL SAUCE!!!
*Note – I made this caramel sauce twice. The first time I tested it in the microwave with coconut milk. It worked great. When the sauce is cooled it will begin to separate a little and eventually harden like fudge. When you are ready to eat it again just heat it up in the microwave and it will melt and be creamy!
· 1 cup Just like Sugar (or xylitol)
· 6 TBS grass fed butter
· 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or full fat coconut milk)
1. Before you begin, make sure you have everything ready to go – the cream and the butter next to the pan, ready to put in. Maria notes that if you don’t work fast, the sweetener will burn.
2. Heat butter on high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan.
3. As soon as it comes to a boil, watch for specks of brown.
4. Immediately add the JUST LIKE SUGAR (xylitol) and the cream to the pan.
5. Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then pour into a glass mason jar and let sit to cool to room temperature.
6. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Use to drizzle all over the cheesecake just before serving.
You can also top with pecan pieces.
Makes 12 servings.
1 slice of Maria’s Turtle Cheesecake = 584 calories, 7 carbs, 2.4 g fiber (4.6 effective carbs)
DISCLOSURE: Not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader. Ditch the Wheat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only endorse products that believe in.