I’ve been on a baking spree! A coconut flour baking spree to be exact. I’ve been trying out a lot of techniques to help make a muffin that is light, fluffy and has a nice dome top like a regular muffin.
I was playing around with egg whites and a chocolate recipe and I combined the two and it resulted in an amazing chocolate mousse cupcake. I took the technique and I ran with it. I started applying it to all my coconut flour recipes that I have been working on. The technique solved the reoccurring dense issue.
Each muffin is roughly 7 net carbs according to Fatsecret.com If you feel that is too high for you be careful about switching the maple syrup to another sweetener. Coconut flour is extremely sensitive to the amount of liquid in a recipe. I have a cookbook that suggests a ratio of 1 cup of honey = 1 1/4 cup of sugar + 1/4 cup of liquid. The amount of maple syrup in this recipe is about 1 tsp per muffin. It adds a subtle sweetness.
Can I get a high five for better photography!
Gluten Free Maple Pecan Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks with the coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- Sift the coconut flour and add to the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the baking powder.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture until smooth.
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites. *I left my mixer on while doing this.
- Pour the mixture into muffin liners. *I recommend silicone muffin liners. All of the muffins in the pictures were baked in silicone muffin liners.
- Fill to the top.
- In a bowl mix all the pecans, maple syrup and cinnamon together.
- Sprinkle on the muffins.
- Bake at 350 deg for 18 minutes or until baked.
Enjoy,DISCLOSURE: Not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader. Ditch the Wheat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only endorse products that believe in.