This recipe was so exciting to make. If you have never tried making aioli you should try. First off, what is Aioli? A google search says aioli is mayonnaise with garlic added to it. This blog post describes it more in depth. Since I was making aioli I need something to go with it….so I made sweet potato wedges.
Wait a second….I don’t see sweet potato wedges in the pictures… I tried a different way of making sweet potato wedges to speed up the baking time and lets just say it didn’t speed it up at all so it didn’t make it to the blog. But, I peeled the sweet potatoes and I was about to throw out the scraps when I thought “Potato Skins!” Potato skins taste soooo good. I took the sweet potato skins, tossed them in olive oil and Universal Spice Rub and let them bake and get crispy. Soooo good tasting.
Thought of the day: try to waste less.
Sweet Potato Skins and Homemade Aioli
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp of mustard
- ½-1¼ cups of olive oil (I tried it with melted coconut oil and it worked too)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, optional
- Sweet Potato Skins:
- Scraps from peeling a sweet potato
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Spice Mix – I used Universal Spice Rub
- Using a blender, whip the egg yolk and mustard.
- Turn the blender to a high speed, (I used the whipping cream speed) SLOWLY add the olive oil. A drop at a time. Make sure it mixes before SLOWLY adding more.
- *The recipe calls for 1¼ cup of olive oil but I stopped at ½ cup.
- After it is whipped up add garlic and 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- *I preferred it without the lemon juice.
- Store in the fridge.
- Sweet Potato Skins:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Use the scraps from peeling a sweet potato.
- Cover the scraps in olive and your favourite spice mixture. I used ½ tbsp of Universal Spice Rub.
- Bake on a baking tray with parchment paper for 10 minutes or until crispy.
If you add the olive oil too fast and it doesn’t work. Put what you already made into a bowl and start with a fresh egg yolk, and slowly add back the egg yolk/oil mixture. Make sure to do it slowly. Since the mixture will have double the yolks you might want to increase the mustard and garlic.