Did you know “Doritos” were released in the United States in 1964?It was the first tortilla chip to be launched nationally in the USA.In 1994, the company spent $50 million to redesign Doritos to make the chips 20% larger, 15% thinner and with rounded edges. The redesign consisted of a two-year market research study that involved 5,000 chip eaters!
In Jan 2012, Carol, redesigned the chip into a gluten free, low carb version!Well, it took me 2 hours and a little playtime in the kitchen.I knew that the chip needed almond flour to give it that crunch.I added flax seed to provide the multigrain taste (I like that taste). I used chili pepper spice, cumin, paprika, onion powder, and salt.
Low Carb Chili Doritos Recipe Ingredients
· ¾ cup almond meal
· ¼ cup of flax seed
· ¼ cup of coconut flour
· ¼ cup of unsalted butter (can use salted but the chip will be more salty)
· 1 large egg
· 1 1/2 tsp of chili pepper spice (use more if you like it extra spicy)
· 1 tsp of onion powder
· ½ tsp of cumin
· ½ tsp of paprika
· ½ tsp of salt
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a large flat baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix all of the ingredients in a food processor.
4. Divide the dough into 2 balls.
5. Place one ball between two large sheets of parchment paper.On a flat surface use a rolling pin to flatten the dough.Flatten the dough to the thickness of a thin cracker.
6. Lift off the top of the parchment paper.
7. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into triangles.
8. Take off any dough leftover from cutting.Place it with the other ball.
9. Gently lift the parchment paper with the cut dough, and invert it onto the baking sheet with the parchment paper.
10. Gently pull the parchment paper off leaving the dough on the baking sheet.
11. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 7 ½-10 minutes.The chips are done when the dough is crispy and light brown.12.Repeat for the second ball of dough.
The recipe makes about 30 Doritos.
Serve with salsa, taco dip etc.Store the chips in a bag or container without the lid or bag closed.It helps the chips stay crisp longer.
Nutritional Facts per serving Based on fatsecret.com
1 Chip = Fat 1.58g, Net Carbs 0.62g, Protein 1.19g, Calories 42.93