I’m finally starting to make seasonal recipes. I had to check on Facebook to see if it was still Football season so I could give you a paleo Superbowl Sunday snack or meal. I have a confession to make….I don’t watch football…or sports so I never know when these things are happening. All I know is, Monday is Bachelor night, Wednesday is Downton Abbey night and Sunday evening is Dexter night. You have to remind me on Facebook that it is Superbowl season and you would like some paleo superbowl snacks. Don’t worry about Valentine’s Day, I have that covered. I’m working on shhhhh paleo cake pops!
I made mini paleo hamburger buns inspired by one of the desserts in my cookbook. Two tries at recipe development and I was happy. I haven’t eaten anything with a bun in a long time so it was weird for me. Weird but nice to feel trendy and normal again. I hope you like mini paleo hamburger buns and use it in this recipe for mini paleo buffalo chicken sandwiches. I made the mini paleo hamburger buns plain but I would love to hear your results if you decide to flavour it: onion, garlic, poppyseed etc…
MINI PALEO HAMBURGER BUNS
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup almond butter or cashew butter, (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil raw, (60 mL)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar, (5 mL)
- ½ tsp baking soda, (2 mL)
- 1/8 tsp salt, (0.5 mL)
- Sesame seeds for decoration
- 1 egg white to brush on the buns
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and cream of tartar. Mix until whipped and frothy.
- Add the almond butter, coconut oil. Lastly add baking soda and salt and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter onto the sheet so it makes individual mini buns, 1-1.5” wide.
- Brush egg whites on each bun. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the buns.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a tooth pick can be inserted and come out clean.
Use the leftover egg yolk from brushing the buns with egg whites to make homemade aioli for the mini sandwiches
*Since the bun is made from almond butter it does have a slight almond taste. It is light but not as light as a “regular” bun. The batter is very heavy but will rise when baked. The bun does crumble slightly more than a “regular” bun. I suggest using the same day and freezing any extra buns. Baked goods made with almond butter dry out fast.
Use the leftover egg yolk from brushing the buns with egg whites to make this homemade aioli recipe for the mini sandwiches.
MINI PALEO BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- 1 chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 2 slices of bacon
- ¼ onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ red and green peppers, sliced thinly
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a heated pan, (medium heat). Drizzle Frank’s Red Hot Sauce all over the raw ingredients. Drizzle a little for a light spicy flavour, drizzle a lot for an intense flavour. Sprinkle salt and pepper over all the ingredients.
- Cook until the chicken is no long pink inside.
- Enough for 4 mini sandwiches. Serve with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise/aioli and any other favourite toppings. Use the leftover egg yolk from brushing the buns with egg whites to make homemade aioli for the mini sandwiches.