I experimented with nut free crusts before when I made Chicken Fries. This recipe is using the same idea but for nut free chicken nuggets. Sesame seeds are a great alternative to almond flour for a coating on chicken. They are cheap and grind up easily in a coffee grinder. They do have a slight funny taste to them on their own. I suggest always adding spice to them in a savory application. If you don’t need a nut free alternative then go ahead and swap the sesame flour for almond flour/meal.
- 1 uncooked chicken breast, cut into nugget sized pieces
- 1 cup of sesame seeds, ground to a fine flour (use a coffee grinder)
- ½ tsp – ½ tbsp cayenne pepper *use more for extra heat
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 400 deg. F.
- Mix the ground sesame seeds with cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt.
- One at a time, dip a piece of chicken into the whisked egg, and then dip into the sesame flour mixture. *For a thick coating like in the picture, dip the chicken back into the egg and dip again in the sesame flour mixture. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat for all pieces of the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning once. The chicken nuggets are done when no pink juices flow from the meat.