Coconut Macaroons are soooo much fun or is it just me who thinks that way? I love coconut macaroons and as soon as I found out they were gluten free (most of the time) I loved them even more! I think of macaroons as the tofu of cookies. I hope you didn’t just lose your appetite over that. I mean the tofu of the cookie world as in you start with a plain coconut macaroon and you can take it in sooo many different flavour directions.
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (medium shredded or above)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the honey, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the shredded coconut. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to let it bind. Form into balls. Place each ball on the baking sheet. The balls should hold together. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Depending on the size of the cookie a longer baking time might be required.
- Each recipe makes about 15-20 macaroons (depending on size)