I’ve been on a baking spree! A coconut flour baking spree to be exact. I’ve been trying out a lot of techniques to help make a muffin that is light, fluffy and has a nice dome top like a regular muffin.
I was playing around with egg whites and a chocolate recipe and I combined the two and it resulted in an amazing chocolate mousse cupcake. I took the technique and I ran with it. I started applying it to all my coconut flour recipes that I have been working on. The technique solved the reoccurring dense issue.
Each muffin is roughly 7 net carbs according to Fatsecret.com If you feel that is too high for you be careful about switching the maple syrup to another sweetener. Coconut flour is extremely sensitive to the amount of liquid in a recipe. I have a cookbook that suggests a ratio of 1 cup of honey = 1 1/4 cup of sugar + 1/4 cup of liquid. The amount of maple syrup in this recipe is about 1 tsp per muffin. It adds a subtle sweetness.
Can I get a high five for better photography!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Dash of Salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour, Sifted
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ cup crushed Pecans
- ½ tsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks with the coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- Sift the coconut flour and add to the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the baking powder.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture until smooth.
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites. *I left my mixer on while doing this.
- Pour the mixture into muffin liners. *I recommend silicone muffin liners. All of the muffins in the pictures were baked in silicone muffin liners.
- Fill to the top.
- In a bowl mix all the pecans, maple syrup and cinnamon together.
- Sprinkle on the muffins.
- Bake at 350 deg for 18 minutes or until baked.
Let's Do. Organic Coconut Flour is made from certified organic fresh coconuts. After separating the rich, white coconut meat from its shell, we use pressurized steam to remove most of its fat. We thoroughly dry the defatted coconut before milling it to a fine cream colored flour. Although its texture is very similar to wheat flour, Let's Do. Organic Coconut Flour is completely gluten free, high in fiber and more than 20% protein. Organic Coconut Flour is wonderful in baked goods, and delicious in your favorite smoothies (with the benefit of adding healthful protein and fiber). Let's Do. Organic Coconut Flour may replace wheat flour completely in many recipes with great results (see our Brownies recipe below for a perfect example). In other recipes you may only want to replace up to 25% percent of the wheat or other grain flour with coconut flour. When you replace other flour in recipes, be sure to increase your liquid by the same measure. For example: if your recipe calls for 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of water, you could use ½ cup coconut flour plus 1½ cups any other flour, and then you must add an additional ½ cup water to total 1½ cups liquid. Try our recipes and experiment with your own. We invite you to send us your favorite recipes so that we can share them with others.