I’ve been working on and off for a long time on a coconut flour banana bread recipe. When I first started baking with coconut flour this was one of the recipes I started to create. I’ve been through so many trials with it where it was too moist, the top was sunken in or there was not enough banana flavour. I finally arrived at this version.
I polled the fans on the Ditch The Wheat fan page about which picture they preferred, flower or no flower? The results were pretty divided and I was left still wondering, flower or no flower? Which picture do you prefer: flower for a bit of colour or no flower for a more clean picture?
COCONUT FLOUR BANANA BREAD
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (for me that was 1 banana)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted (it weighed 47 grams)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl cream together coconut oil and raw honey. Do that for a few minutes until it looks like icing.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time to the creamed coconut oil and raw honey. Mix until smooth. Add mashed banana, vanilla and cinnamon until mixed.
- Add the sifted coconut flour, baking soda and salt to the egg yolk mixture. Mix until smooth. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the whipped egg whites. Mixing it until it is combined.
- Line a 7 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is firm to the touch and a toothpick can be inserted and comes out dry.